New construction requires purchase of an electrical permit and inspections through the State of Tennessee at their website Comprehensive Online Regulatory & Enforcement System (CORE):core.tn.gov.
Who can purchase permit and schedule inspections?
- Individual or company that is a licensed contractor.
- Property owner that will be performing their own electrical work on property they own.
- Rental property requires a licensed electrician to obtain the permit.
Information you will need to purchase the permit:
- Type of permit:
a. Non-Standard Electrical Proposal
b. Residential-Single Family
c. Residential-THDA Rehab
e. Residential-Two Family
f. Standard Electrical (for all electrical work)
- Organize and/or homeowner name and contact (mail, phone, email, fax, website) for the permit purchaser, construction location, and owner. Information may be duplicated between addresses:
a. Contractor or homeowner purchasing the permit
b. Construction Address: Location where electrical services will be performed
c. Owner Address: Contractor or homeowner purchasing the permit
- Permit type:
a. Structure type: Single family, multi family, industrial/commercial, mobile home, other
b. Service size - amperes
c. Permit type: Final, rough-in, temporary, HVAC, service release, or re-inspect
d. Occupancy Type
- Contractor name and license number if work not performed by property owner.
- Payment method: debit/credit card or eCheck account.
Where to purchase and manage permits, inspections, and view detailed instructions for using the online system:
View printed guides and CORE Definition, includes link to login page: Click here.
Login page to purchase permits, inspections, and view video tutorials: Click here.